2016-2017 Arts Season
Our 2016-2017 Back-à-Dos Theater season will include the fall play, Charles Mee's Big Love with a guest director, the student-directed one act play festival in the winter, a spring musical (Dave Malloy's Ghost Quartet) and a faculty-directed May project. In addition to theater performances, there will be several concerts and musical events featuring student bands, solo pianists, spoken word & poetry, singer-songwriters, and more.
Je suis Une Femme, Je suis l'Humanité || I am a Woman, I am Humanity - June 5
French director Moïse Touré's 45-minute film, Je suis Une Femme, Je suis l'Humanité, offers an artistic response to the kidnapping of 237 Chibok schoolgirls, kidnapped by Boko Haram in 2015. It was created with the participation of 237 women from the French city of Annecy, as well as French and international writers, including International High School students Gillian Berkowitz and Adriana Horvat, and Head of School Melinda Bihn.
Monday, June 5—Dennis Gallagher Arts Pavilion, 66 Page Street
Greeting and Reception: 6:30pm
Panel Discussion and Conversation: 7:00pm
To complement the screening and extend the conversation about women, place and power across cultures, students will interview a panel of five Bay Area women, prominent in the world of social science, medicine, arts and education. Panelists include:
- Artistic Director Emeritus of the SF Unified School District's Arts Program, arts activist Susan Stauter
- Longtime core company member and performer of the San Francisco Mime Troupe, actor Velina Brown
- Forensic Pathologist, CEO of PathologyExpert Inc., and author of the award-winning book Working Stiff, Dr. Judy Melinek
- Director of Science at UC Berkeley's Greater Good Science Center, Emiliana Simon-Thomas, Ph.D.
- Tech entrepreneur, founder and CEO of Obe, Inc., Hilary Jensen Wade
The evening is a continuation of—and springboard for—a larger conversation about themes of gender, power, and purpose—and how these are shaped across cultures and civilizations. As such, it is part of Les Inachevés' 2016-17 season, which includes Odyssée des Continents: dialogue des cultures, conversation avec Michelle Haner, professeure du Lycée Internationale Franco-Américain de San Francisco.
The event is free, but space is limited! Reserve your seats through the online box office.